This is a difficult
time for you
and your family.
Let us help.

Information for people who are new to FRO

Separation and divorce are major life changes. Your role as spouse or partner will end, but your role as a parent continues. The Family Responsibility Office (FRO) helps more than 330,000 people every year by collecting and distributing support payments. We're here to help you and your family, too.

If you fall behind on your payments, contact your case manager right away. Together, we can make a re-payment plan.

How …

  • can FRO help me?
  • do I register my support order or agreement?
  • do I pay support?
  • do I receive support?
  • can FRO take enforcement actions without first telling me?
  • can I change my support order or domestic contract?
  • do I withdraw my case from FRO?

When …

  • will I start paying?
  • do I start receiving payments?
  • do I stop paying?
  • do I need to contact FRO?
  • will I be assigned a case contact, case number and PIN?

What happens if I …

  • or the other parent lives outside Ontario?
  • can’t pay my support or fall behind on payments?
  • don’t know where the payor lives or works?

What do I do if …

  • I want information on child access or custody?
  • my payment is late or I haven’t received a payment yet?
  • my contact information changes?
  • I lost, forgot or need to change my Personal Identification Number?