Making it easier to report income

Starting in May 2018, the Statement of Income form you use to report earnings from a job or training program will be easier to fill out. You will only need to report:

  • gross pay
  • net pay
  • deductions for spousal and/or child support payments (if applicable)
  • other garnishments to repay a debt (if applicable)

Learn more about reporting income.

New way to confirm family members are eligible for Ontario Works

Starting in August 2018, we will list your family members who are eligible for Ontario Works on your monthly Statement of Assistance.

This can help your family members receive community supports, such as housing subsidies, subsidized transit passes and recreation.

Note: Ontario Works recipients in M’Chigeeng First Nation will see this change to their statements. This change does not apply to individuals served by other First Nations Ontario Works Administrators.

Accessing health benefits

Do you currently receive a paper drug card with your Ontario Works statement? We will no longer be issuing paper drug cards with monthly statements starting in August 2018.

This includes Ontario Works recipients in M’Chigeeng First Nation. However, individuals served by other First Nations Ontario Works Administrators will continue to receive a monthly paper drug card.

We are making it easier to access health benefits, such as prescription drugs and eye exams. Starting in August 2018, everyone can use their Ontario health card or another form of government identification to access health benefits.

How to get your Ontario health card

To get a free Ontario health card:

  • visit your nearest Service Ontario office
  • call the ServiceOntario INFOline:
    • Toll-free: 1-888-789-4199
    • TTY Toll-free: 1-800-387-5559

Learn more at

If you do not qualify for an Ontario health card

If you cannot get an Ontario health card, you can use another form of government identification or your monthly statement of assistance (it will list your family members who are eligible for Ontario Works starting in August 2018).

Identification you can use to get health benefits

Here are the approved types of identification you can use:

  • Ontario Health Card (i.e., photo, non-photo or temporary card)
  • Health card issued by another province or territory in Canada
  • Other official document showing the health number (i.e., letter from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care or Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC))
  • Valid Driver’s Licence or Temporary Driver’s Licence (issued by Ontario or other jurisdiction)
  • Ontario Photo Identification Card
  • Birth Certificate from a Canadian province or territory
  • Social Assistance (ODSP or Ontario Works) Statement of Assistance
  • Statement of Live Birth
  • Confirmation from the Registrar General of Birth Registration
  • Ontario Outdoors Card
  • Age of Majority Card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card)
  • Indian Band Records
  • Valid Passport – Canadian or other country
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian Immigration Identification Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Record of Landing
  • Refugee Protection Claimant Document (CIC Form 1442)
  • Determination of Eligibility for refugee status (CIC form IMM1442 or IMM5292)
  • Temporary Resident Permit (CIC form IMM 1442 or IMM 1263)
  • Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence
  • Military Record

Learn more

For more information about these changes, please speak with your caseworker or contact your local office.