If you are:

  • applying for Ontario Disability Support Program Income Support, or
  • receiving Income Support

it is important that you tell your worker about all money you or your family receive from other sources (for example, a job, other government programs, tax benefits, spousal support).

We need to know your income so that we can make sure you are getting the right amount of money. In general, any money you or your family receive is income, and may reduce your Income Support.

Examples of income

Here are some examples of different kinds of income:

  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP) or Québec Pension Plan (QPP) benefits
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) benefits
  • earnings from a job, training program
  • profit from a farm or business, including self-employment
  • spousal or sponsorship support
  • Guaranteed Annual Income Supplement (GAINS)
  • Old Age Security (OAS) and Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
  • Employment Insurance (EI)
  • loans
  • any other money that you or your family receive or may be entitled to receive.

Some income is exempt

Some types of income are "exempt" - this means they do not affect your eligibility or the amount of money you get for Income Support.

Here are some examples of exempt income:

  • certain federal tax benefits, like the Canada Child Tax Benefit
  • certain provincial tax benefits, like the Ontario Child Benefit
  • payments from a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)
  • Ontario Student Assistance Program loans for education costs
  • child support

These are only a few examples. There are many rules about the treatment of other income while you are receiving Income Support.

Your Ontario Disability Support Program worker can help you figure out what income is exempt. That's why it is important that you report all of your income to your worker.

Learn More