New way to confirm family members qualify for ODSP

Starting in April 2018, family members who qualify for ODSP will be listed on your monthly Statement of Assistance.

This can help your family members receive community supports, such as housing subsidies, subsidized transit passes and recreation.

Easier way to report income

We are improving the “Employment/Training Income Report” form to make it easier to fill out. You will only need to report:

  • gross pay
  • net pay
  • deductions for spousal or child support payments (if applicable)
  • garnishments to repay a debt (if applicable)

You will receive the new form with your monthly Statement of Assistance, starting at the end of April 2018.

Learn more about reporting income

Simpler way to report changes

As of May 2018, you no longer need to submit a form to let us know when your situation changes. Instead, you can simply visit or contact your local office to tell us.
Changes that you need to report include:

  • if you moved or changed your phone number
  • how much you pay for housing
  • if you get married or have a child
  • any new or changes to income you receive
  • new assets or changes to the amount of assets you have
  • if you plan on leaving Ontario for more than 30 days
  • if you start work or attending post-secondary school
  • if you are admitted to hospital or any other institution
  • if you are being detained in custody

Reminder: when you submit information to your local office to verify changes, please include your 9 digit member ID.

Learn more about reporting changes

Accessing health benefits

We are making it easier to access health benefits, such as prescription drugs and eye exams. You can use your Ontario health card to access health benefits. And starting in July 2018, you will also be able to show another form of government identification or your statement of assistance to get health benefits.

Learn more about prescription drug coverage and vision care benefits. [LINKS to updated pages about these health benefits]

How to get your Ontario health card

To get a free Ontario health card:

  • visit your nearest Service Ontario office
  • call the ServiceOntario INFOline:
    • Toll-free: 1-888-789-4199
    • TTY Toll-free: 1-800-387-5559

Learn more at

If you do not qualify for an Ontario health card

If you cannot get an Ontario health card, you can use another form of government identification or your monthly statement of assistance starting in July 2018.

Identification you can use to get health benefits

Here are the approved types of identification you can use:

  • Ontario Health Card (i.e., photo, non-photo or temporary card)
  • Health card issued by another province or territory in Canada
  • Other official document showing the health number (i.e., letter from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care or Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC))
  • Valid Driver’s Licence or Temporary Driver’s Licence (issued by Ontario or other jurisdiction)
  • Ontario Photo Identification Card
  • Birth Certificate from a Canadian province or territory
  • Social Assistance (ODSP or Ontario Works) Statement of Assistance
  • Statement of Live Birth
  • Confirmation from the Registrar General of Birth Registration
  • Ontario Outdoors Card
  • Age of Majority Card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (Status Card)
  • Indian Band Records
  • Valid Passport - Canadian or other country
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian Immigration Identification Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Record of Landing
  • Refugee Protection Claimant Document (CIC Form 1442)
  • Determination of Eligibility for refugee status (CIC form IMM1442 or IMM5292)
  • Temporary Resident Permit (CIC form IMM 1442 or IMM 1263)
  • Firearms Possession and Acquisition Licence
  • Military Record

Learn more

For more information about these changes, please speak with your caseworker or contact your local office.