I have children under the age of 18 and need money right away. Can Ontario Works help me?

If you qualify, Ontario Works can provide you with money to help you cover the costs of your basic needs (e.g. food) and your family's housing costs.

The amount of money you may receive from Ontario Works will vary depending on your:

  • family size
  • income
  • assets, and
  • housing costs.

Calculating the amount of money you may get is complicated. You should contact your local Ontario Works office for more information.

If you have children under the age of 18, you should know:

  • Ontario Works can help cover housing, health and child care costs for your children.
  • The Ontario Child Benefit is available to help with the cost of basic needs for your children, such as food and clothing.

If you are eligible for Ontario Works, you may also get help for your children if:

  • you are not receiving the Ontario Child Benefit
  • you are receiving less than the maximum amount of the Ontario Child Benefit for any of your children, or
  • you are waiting for your monthly Ontario Child Benefit payment to start.

In these cases, Ontario Works may provide you with a Transition Child Benefit.

The amount you get depends on how much money you get from the Ontario Child Benefit and the National Child Benefit Supplement (federal supplement to the Canada Child Tax Benefit).